2017-04-27

ESPN Layoffs: The Struggling Industry Giant Sheds On-Air Talent

Story by New York Times
Written by Joe Brape and Brooks Barnes

The “Worldwide Leader in Sports,” as ESPN brands itself, laid off scores of journalists and on-air talent on Wednesday, showing that even the most formidable media kingdom was vulnerable to the transformation upending the sports broadcasting industry as more and more people turn away from cable television.

Among the prominent people let go were the former N.F.L. players Trent Dilfer and Danny Kanell, the former N.B.A. player Len Elmore, the former baseball general manager Jim Bowden and the longtime N.F.L. reporter Ed Werder.

ESPN is by far the biggest and most powerful entity in the sports media industry, and it has felt the sting as viewers turn away from traditional ways of consuming live sports.

The network has lost more than 10 million subscribers over the past several years. At the same time, the cost of broadcasting major sports has continued to rise. ESPN committed to an eight-year, $15.2 billion deal extension with the N.F.L. in 2011; a nine-year, $12 billion deal with the N.B.A.; and a $7.3 billion deal for the college football playoffs, among many others...

...Here are some of the ESPN employees who have made statements on social media:

Jay Crawford ✔ @jaycrawfordespn
After 14 wonderful years my time at espn is over. From Cold Pizza to First Take to SC I made more friends than I can name. Forever grateful!
1:52 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Ed Werder @EdwerderFA
After 17 years reporting on #NFL, I've been informed that I'm being laid off by ESPN effective immediately. I have no plans to retire
9:32 AM - 26 Apr 2017

Jayson Stark ✔ @jaysonst
For 17 yrs I've had a dream job covering baseball for ESPN. Today is my last day. Thanks to all the great people at ESPN, MLB & all of you!
1:27 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Trent Dilfer @DilfersDime
Laid off by ESPN today.Although sad cause I loved my job, mostly filled w/gratitude & appreciation for the 9 years #GreatFriendsAndTeammates
1:31 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Len Elmore @LenElmore
Gee, I feel like I am now part of an exclusive club. #ESPNLayoff. For 21 yrs. I tried to represent the best in college hoops. Adios Bristol!

Dana O'Neil @DanaONeilWriter
Add me to the list. Just got the 'call.' I've been informed my contract will not be renewed at ESPN.
10:39 AM - 26 Apr 2017

Eamonn Brennan ✔ @eamonnbrennan
Bad news morning. I loved every bit of my eight years at ESPN and will miss it, and so many friends and colleagues there, profoundly.
11:58 AM - 26 Apr 2017

Danny Kanell ✔ @dannykanell
Poured my heart and soul into ESPN for last 8 years. Moved my wife and 3 kids to CT to go "all in" 5 years ago. Bummed it ended in 3 minutes
12:45 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Justin Verrier ✔ @JustinVerrier
No longer at ESPN. Thank you to everyone who read and supported me throughout my 9 years there. Means more than you can know.
2:43 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Robin Lundberg ✔ @robinlundberg
Today was my last day on air at ESPN Radio. On to the next...I'll let everyone know what that is when I do.
2:30 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Calvin Watkins ✔ @calvinwatkins
After seven great years at ESPN I've been let go. Much respect to all the people.
2:14 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Melissa Isaacson @mkisaacson
Sorry to get the call from ESPN this a.m., but grateful for my eight years there and trying to positively look ahead.
2:06 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Ted Miller ✔ @TedMillerRK
Started at ESPN in 2008, but my tenure ended today. Worked w/ some great folks who are now friends. Onward to new challenges.
1:45 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Jane McManus ✔ @janesports
Super Bowls, The Trifecta and stories like the one up now are the moments I'll take with me into free agency starting tomorrow.
1:07 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Ashley Fox @AshleyFoxESPN
I had a great 6+ years at ESPN, but it's over. I will badly miss all the talented folks there, many of whom I call dear friends. #Onward
2:08 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Ethan Strauss ✔ @SherwoodStrauss
So, I am no longer with ESPN, as of today. I want to thank all the great people I've worked with and, of course, the readers + listeners
2:03 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Jeremy Crabtree ✔ @jeremycrabtree
Six years ago, made most difficult decision ever made leaving @Rivals to come to @ESPN. Even after being laid off today, I don’t regret it.
11:58 AM - 26 Apr 2017

Brian Bennett @GBrianBennett
Like far too many other ESPN colleagues today, I’ve been laid off. Enjoyed nine great years here. Thanks for reading and following along.
12:29 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Doug Padilla @DougPadilla
Rough day. Just learned I will no longer be covering the Dodgers. Enjoyed my 7 years at ESPN. On to the next chapter.
12:40 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Max Olson ✔ @max_olson
I got laid off by ESPN today after an amazing 5+ years. I've been unbelievably fortunate. Better days ahead.
12:43 PM - 26 Apr 2017

C.L. Brown ✔ @clbrownespn
Landed in Madrid. Turned on phone 1st time all vacation. Got texts asking if job was safe. Found out it was not. Enjoyed my 4 years, ESPN.
12:30 PM - 26 Apr 2017
__________________________________________
Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/sports/espn-layoffs.html?_r=0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home