2008-06-18

Tim Russert Memorial

St. Albans Catholic School for Elementary and High School was where the viewing took place yesterday June 17th 2008. St. Albans is an expensive feeder school to Harvard and other Ivy League schools. Tim's son Luke attended St. Albans before going on to Boston College, a noted Catholic University. St. Albans is on the same property as the National Cathedral (majestically pictured above). The National Cathedral probably owns St. Albans, though I am unsure. Many dignataries including the President Bush himself paid tribute to Russert sometime during the 2pm-9pm viewing. I arrived at about 7pm and saw a few local newscasters that many in the District would know, and stood behind former NBA great Adrian Dantley and Monday Night Football announcer Tony Kornheiser.

In watching Tim Russert's Memorial today, I was struck at how many lives that Tim touched. And most of the stories were about their journeys outside of the News room and Political circles. The shared moments that came from a wide array of colleagues and working associates were of them and Tim at a ball game, or on the road in Montana, or at a concert, a resteraunt, a pizza place etc... Why would that strike me? In most cases working associates -- or competitors -- leave their work and their associates and go home. It showed the depth of the person in Tim Russert when people at work -- or across the isle fierce competitors -- were viewed by Tim as friends.



A Washington Post article about Tim Russert, the day after Tim Russert's death, illustrated that Tim would leave work to spend a moment with his son. The day of Tim's passing, the Post article elaberated, Russert left work to meet his trusted cable guy to set up his son's place. The Comcast cable guy's name was Michael Hart from Waldorf, whom was one of the last people to see Tim alive. Hart said that during the elevator ride down, after the work was finished, Tim grabbed Hart's hand that June 13th day, and said "Thank you for looking out for my family, happy Father's Day." What was also in this Post article was that Michael Hart had six children, and Russert often made sure that ALL six children had tickets to see the Washington Wizards Professional basketball team.
Russert was the best broadcast journalist of his time, and should be respected as such. While I am a veteran of the business, I still take intense notes from exemplery models as Tim Russert was. Throughout my life there have been a few broadcast journalist that I have looked up to. Off the top of my head comes Max Robinson, Ed Bradley, Walter Cronkite, Bryant Gumbel, Peter Jennings...all considered the best in their day. A few promising contemporaries come to mind, such as: Lester Holt and Ron Allen. In all you see the commitment to perfection.

I met Russert on two occassions. One of the two occasions stands out. My sons and I were at a Washingon Wizards game at the Verizon Center in Downtown Washington DC. Suddenly the host of my favorite program "Meet the Press" Tim Russert pops up. I immediately said "Hey Tim Russert how are you?" We exchanged pleasantries. I then asked hTim to sign an autograph for my sons. Tim said with his famous jubilant smile "Sure". While Tim had the marker, he nor I had any paper to write on. I looked and looked around the lobby area for two minutes or so to no avail. That is a long time for Tim Russert or any celeb to stand in one spot waiting. But Tim stood there waiting patiently and would not leave until I found something to write on. I eventually went to the nearby concession stand and picked up a napkin. Tim promptly signed the napkin. Now you know that most celebrities would have left in the first 30 seconds, but not Tim Russert. I knew then that Russert had a soft spot for fans and kids.

Russert passed away as the best investigative and interviewing broadcast journalist. Tim Russert also managed to take the time to salute his father, son, wife, and the many friends like the Cable man Michael Hart. Tim Russert will be missed as an honest reporter, and a human being that took the time for each of us.

Big ups to the late Tim Russert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home